Saturday, February 19, 2011

Playing Hardball

Aiden used to be so good. I mean, he's still good. REALLY GOOD. But lately he's gotten into the very bad habit of taking forever to/resisting falling asleep. I nurse him, he drifts off, snaps out of it, sits right up and wants to feed on the other side. Fine, I oblige. Same thing happens, he dozes off and suddenly awakens. Repeat. And repeat. AND REPEAT. I'm not exaggerating.

So tonight I decided I'd feed only once on each breast and he'd have to self soothe after that. He fell TOTALLY asleep, I laid him in his crib, and he immediately sat up and cried. He's been standing in his crib for 25 minutes now. I keep checking on him (love the jack and jill bathroom- I can check on him without him seeing me) and there he wails- standing in the crib, staring at the door he wants me to walk through.

I wonder how long I will let this go on. He is hysterical. But I really want him to figure out that it's possible to just calm down and go to sleep on his own.

...shhh.... what is that? I hear NOTHING.

:-)

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Awe. I've been there. It will only take a night or two of misery for him to realize whats expected of him.

When mine would get hysterical I'd go in, pick them up, calm them down, and put them back in their crib....for more screaming and such, but eventually they knew I was just in the next room, and they'd fall asleep...

Aiden is using you as a pacifier. :-P