Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Friends

Today after dance class, I took Addy with me to Jiffy Lube to get my oil changed. Dressed in her pink and black tutu, pink tights and red sparkly shoes, Addison walked 4 or 5 shops down with me to Weinershnitzel for a treat- her favorite- a hot dog! Just before we got to Weinerschnitzel, we walked past a Whataburger, where Addison saw an elderly couple getting out of their car and walking toward the restaurant. (using the word restaurant to describe Whataburger just feels weird, but I digress)

This couple was SO adorable. Slow walking, hand holding adorable.

"Friends!" Addison shouted.
"Are those your friends?" I asked her.
"Yeah!"
"Well, say hi to them!" I encouraged her.
"Hi, friends!"
They didn't hear her. I told her to say it louder as we were walking closer, and finally after maybe four tries, they saw and heard her.

Oh, the looks on their faces as Addison ran toward them, "Hi, friends!" was priceless. Obviously impressed with her outfit, they asked her if she had just attended a party. I told her to tell them where she had just been, and she said proudly, "dance class". The woman reached out to shake her hand, and Addison reached right up and shook her hand! And THEN, SHE reached her hand toward the man, to shake HIS hand! They told her how pretty she was, she got the silly coy look that she gets, they continued to admire her, she ate it up... we wished them a yummy lunch and went on our way.

I won't spoil this story by telling you about the time-out that had to happen, outside of Whataburger, not 15 seconds after this took place, because Addison refused to hold my hand and tried to run away from me- into the parking lot.

No, I won't do that. Instead I will end by saying how very proud I was of my sweet daughter. I was elated to see her bring such joy into these two people's lives. I don't think I'll ever forget it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brings a tear to my eye

Kyle, Laurel, Elle and Brett said...

That is a precious story Sarah!! Sweet sweet Addison!