Monday, January 5, 2009

A case of the Mondays

Today started off just fine. Addison did wake up a bit earlier than I would have liked, but if I'm being honest, anything before 10:00 would have been earlier than I would have liked. She had a great breakfast, cooperated cheerfully while we got ready for school. When I dropped her off, she just walked right in, let her teacher take her coat off, and headed to her chair for snack time. She even gave me the obligatory good-bye wave; I say obligatory because I'm not sure there was much sentiment behind it... she was clearly ready to be back at school. Oh, and there was a little boy who kept saying "Addy.... Addy.... Addy". He's the boy she sat next to.

I got to work quite early, took down all of the Christmas decorations and returned phone calls, all before my students arrived. I wasn't feeling super excited about being back, but I managed to enjoy my classes this morning. I grabbed a quick lunch before picking Addison up from school. Addison was in a great mood when I picked her up, and went straight down for her nap as soon as we were home.

The plan for after nap was as follows. Addison would wake up, and we would head to the studio. I would teach class at 4:00 and since Monday is the only day I can not have her in class with me, she would be watched by Ms. Angie, a mommy who watches her for a few minutes in the waiting room until Daddy comes to pick her up. But Daddy was going to be late today.

See, here's another contribution to my soon to be realized Case of the Mondays. Go back with me, if you will, to last night...

Mike informed me that our sweet cat, Gus, had been outside. Gus shouldn't go outside, because he doesn't have his front claws, but sometimes he gets to be soooooo whiiiiinnyyyy by the door, that I will let him outside. I know that is bad of me. And I will never do it again. Because Gus got his ass kicked. Or he got his ass bit. Literally. Soooooo Mike took him to the vet today, and was going to pick Gus up before going to the studio to pick Addison up.

Now, back to the "what was supposed to happen" timeline. Yeah, that didn't happen. Instead, Addison woke up f-u-s-s-y. Simply put, she was not in the same mood as before her nap. She cried for, no joke, 45 minutes. It wasn't the kind of cry that alarmed me, I never really thought she was feeling BAD (although you never really know if a toddler is teething, do you? You can kind of chalk everything up to "well, she might be teething...") Anyway, it was the kind of needy, "don't leave me" cry. I think she could tell we were on our way out, and maybe school was a little jolting to her, and she was wanting more "mommy time". I decided not to go to work. I knew there was no way she was going to be easy for Angie, especially for longer than normal while Mike took care of Gus. Addison cuddled with me all afternoon. And then, when Daddy came home, she was super cuddly and sweet with him, too.

I just got all stressed out by all this- missing work, especially. There are certainly times that I just have to choose my family over work, and this was just one of those times. So I got into a funk.

And then Gus came home and looked like this: (warning: it's kinda gross. Only kinda, though. I promise)


Talk about a funk. Poor Gus! And it's MY fault! Ugh. I really do feel so bad.

So, what started out as a decent day, turned out to be a crappy one. I neglected work and caused pain to my buddy, Gus. hmmmph. I want to watch Texas whoop Ohio (not happening right now), eat ice cream, and pout. Hmmph.

"Okay. Sounds like a case of the Mondays"

3 comments:

rachael... said...

At least Texas won in the end! Hope that made your day a little better. :)

Haila said...

Poor Gus! What a bad bite. Maybe he won't whine at the door anymore... at least for a couple weeks.

Sarah said...

Um, yeah right! He is ALREADY whining. Like, all the time. Ugh.