Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Dance. I need to work on coming up with clever titles. For now this one is still just Dance.

Okay, I'm not gonna lie. I want Addison to be a dancer. There. I said it. Yes, I really want her to LOVE dancing as much as I do. Having said that, I always say I will not "push" her, and that is totally true. I am almost hyper-sensitive to the situation. I really want to see her find out what she likes on her own. And if that happens to be dance, then I will be one happy mama.

Anyway, I was eager and apprehensive at the same time when I had to take Addison to work with me this morning. She does go to work with me every afternoon until Mike picks her up, so she is definitely used to the studio. She actually really likes going. But in the afternoons I teach "big girls", so if she is not in my arms, she is usually playing in the waiting room with siblings of dancers, or hanging out with me in my office. This morning I was anxious to see how she would react being in the classroom with me encouraging her to participate with girls very close to her age. Of course I was completely prepared to "try" to teach with her, my assistant was ready to take over for me when I had to leave with her. But oh, my. I never would have expected... I was able to teach the entire morning (two classes) without any problem. She TOTALLY participated. She didn't always do what we were doing- she didn't "march", she just followed us around, etc. But she never clinged to me, she never got bored, she watched me and the girls and she LOVED every second.

I really can't articulate how amazing this was for me. As a mother and as a dance teacher. To see your daughter enjoying something that is your passion, your gift... it is really incredible. Sounds so very cheese. I know. I do apologize.

So here are some pictures. Here she is playing freeze dance with the two year old class and my assistant, Miss Sarah. Addy is in the blue pants and top. Aren't these little girls precious?



This is Addison singing a song at the beginning of the four year old class.

And get this. She sat on her number. She sat on her number and participated in a clapping game. I'm not sure if people will understand how amazing this is. We have a hard time getting our two year olds to sit still on their numbers. The only thing we need to teach her is how to "sit like a dancer"- legs crossed. This totally amazed me.


The girl who watches Addison on Wednesdays (Miss Brittany) actually can't watch her anymore, so until I find someone else, she will be joining me. I'm actually really excited! Is that psycho?

2 comments:

Kyle, Laurel, Elle and Brett said...

Hi Sarah! I love your blog! :) I think this is just awesome - about Addy in your classes. Too cute. I can't wait to get Elle in there too!!! :)

Julie said...

Addison is making Sheridan look bad! ;)