Saturday, December 27, 2008

A Merry Christmas, Indeed

First thing's first. The pictures included in this post are, for lack of a better word, crap. No, no, I don't mean that. I mean- I wish some of them were better. I never really used to care. But now that this blog has kind of consumed my life, the quality of my pictures matters to me all of the sudden. This realization came during conversations with my Uncle Frank- more on that later.

Okay. Now that that's settled...
I have a much greater appreciation for the holidays now that I have a child's eyes to see them through. Little things... Christmas lights in the neighborhood, Christmas decorations everywhere you go, even Christmas music... it had all had become monotonous to me. It sort of felt like the same old, same old every year. Until this year. When Addison would "ooh" and "aah" at every house we drove by-every time we drove by- it was hard not to notice how truly cool it is that so many houses have so many beautiful lights! And when she would get excited about snowmen- at the mall, in restaurants, in yards, in our house, anywhere!, I found myself looking for them, to show to her, to see her face light up. And especially when Addison would dance to any Christmas song I played in the car, I totally danced with her. Her joy for all things Holiday was contagious!

I had high hopes for Christmas this year, and I certainly was not disappointed. Christmas Eve we celebrated with Mike's family. We went to his parent's house, and his NaNa and PaPa were there as well. Mike's mom made a traditional dinner (as she always does) and it was delicious (as it always is). After we stuffed ourselves with plates-full of yummies, it was present time!! Addison was so excited about all of her gifts, but I think the bike that was brought out last had to be her favorite. She was so upset when it was time to leave- she did not want to stop riding her new bike! Thank you Grammi and Grandpa for such a generous and special Christmas :)

Addison and Mommy at Grammi and Grandpa's



Mike, Grammi and Addison



Addy and Grandpa



NaNa, Addison, Mike and PaPa (Addison is enjoying a strawberry)


Addy and her new bike! (and a yummy strawberry)

Christmas morning, Addison woke up to presents from Santa! I want to rewind to the night before, because I had so much fun setting up her presents. Imagining her excitement as she would come down the stairs... seeing her new rocking horse, baby stroller and Dora Kitchen... I just got so wrapped up in the holiday spirit! I told you her joy was contagious! Well, Addison was indeed, very excited to come downstairs to her new toys. We practically had to pry her off of the horse to get her dressed for Christmas at GaGa's. And we had to hide the bike from the night before, because if she had seen it that morning, we would have definitely been an hour late to GaGa's. Smart parents, we are.

Don't tell Addison, but this horse isn't "new". I received it at a baby shower, and have been waiting to bring it out until she was old enough to enjoy it. We did get it out once a few months ago, but she wasn't quite ready. This was the perfect opportunity to give it to her!


She LOVES it!

My mom's brothers (two of them, anyway) flew in on Christmas Day. We decided to exchange gifts Christmas morning, before our out of town guests arrived, in an effort to keep things small and simple. So, off to GaGa's we went. Melissa and her family joined us, and one of Grandma's caregivers, Kristy, celebrated with us as well. There were elmos, nightgowns, shoes, comic books, dvds, wiis, dinosaurs, just to name a few. What a great morning! Mike took Addy home for a good nap, and I stayed and visited with the family. Uncle Frank and his wife Cheryl arrived later that afternoon, followed closely by Uncle John and his wife Oro. Uncle Frank is a great photographer, and he gave me some pointers for how to take sharper pictures. Bottom line: you need an expensive camera. But, apparently there are some things I can do to work with what I have. Thanks Uncle Frank, for the lesson.


Frank and Cheryl

Soon enough, Mike and Addy were back, we were all accounted for, and it was time for DINNER! Mom did a fabulous job of setting a lovely table in the living room, and we had a perfect Christmas dinner.



Addison and cousins at the "kids" table


clockwise from left: Addy, Mike, Mom, Jane, John, Oro, Les, Abbie, Kristi, Grandma, Frank, Cheryl, Adam and Melissa. A full house!

I think it goes without saying, this was my best Christmas yet. From start to finish, I wouldn't have changed a thing! I know it's a little late, but Happy Holidays, everyone!

And HAPPY NEW YEAR!

No comments: