Friday, January 28, 2011

Addison, the Aspiring Rising Star

Tonight was our first of many competitions this season. It was an optional competition for our soloists. Because Melissa and I strongly disagree with the politics behind this certain competition, I chose not to register any of my dancers, or have them to use the Dance eMotions name. But, it was a cheap and local competition so a lot of our girls participated. And being the caring dance teachers that we are, we couldn't have them perform without us there. ;) So, we went to support our girls.

ANYway. I'm glad I went because my girls did REALLY well and Addison TOTALLY enjoyed watching. As soon as we left, she asked me if we could practice the dances when we got home. I hid my excitement as best I could and was all, "sure, if you want to."

Of course, the second we got home, she didn't let me forget that we had to practice.

"Alright, mama. First we need to practice the black and blue dance." Whoa. Hold on. The first dance we watched was a little girl from another studio wearing a black and blue costume. Of course I don't know any of her dance, so I made up some steps. "No mama, that's not what she did. It looked like THIS." And she proceeded to shake her hips like the little girl did. (It was a very sassy, hip-shaking dance. And Addy does NOT have the hip shake down. And I'm totally okay with that).

"Ok. Now the bird dance." Again, I can't believe she remembered this! The second solo we saw was a ballet piece- the little girl had a bird-inspired tutu and routine. She got on the floor in the same beginning position the little girl had. Crazy!

"So. Now let's practice Hailey's dance. Now Sarah. Now Ally. And Erin. And Claire..." and she literally listed all eight of my dancers IN ORDER. She told me exactly what their costumes looked like and was able to do a bit of each of their dances (in her own way, of course).

All I can think about now is having her compete a solo next year WHICH I KNOW IS TOTALLY CRAZY BUT I CAN'T HELP IT. I mean, she's obsessed with all things dance. Oh, and you might have seen the video of her dancing that I posted last night. I couldn't leave it on the blog, seeing how she wasn't wearing any clothes... but if you did happen to see it, I hope you loved it, because it was totally cute and adorable and I LOVE THAT SHE LOVES TO DANCE!

1 comment:

Christina said...

That is the cutest! Must be in the blood! She reminds me a lot of Corrinna, we need to try another playdate some time :)