Monday, November 29, 2010

FREAKING OUT

I'm having a real hard time with something lately. I'm finding it hard to be a conscientious parent without being a crazy parent. Where's the line between protecting your kids and going overboard?

www.safemama.com freaks me out. None of the diapers that we have ever used on either of our kids is on the list of "good" diapers. Same goes for baby wipes. And soap. And toothpaste. And sunscreen. And probably a million other things except I stopped looking because I started to get nauseous.

To clarify: I've started only using Seventh Generation chlorine free diapers and wipes. (side note, except it shouldn't be a side note at all: WHY AREN'T ALL DIAPERS CHLORINE FREE?). We use Cetaphil Soap for Addison (under the recommendation of her dermatologist... except was he only suggesting it because of the whole pharmaceutical/doctor/money CRAZINESS that is happening more and more lately?) and California Baby for Aiden. Actually, California Baby did make the list. Not the "great" list, but the "good" list. Seriously. Yippee. We use Tom's toothpaste, but somehow even friggin TOM'S isn't good!

Why are the cheap, easy to buy products so bad for us? And it's true- if you compare the ingredients of Johnson and Johnson to California Baby, it's totally obvious which is better. Even better and more conscientious packaging. But why are companies even making these products if they're not good for us- and more importantly- our babies?!

So climbing deeper into the rabbit hole, I started looking into toys and toxins. OH MY. Let's just say that "Toxic Toy of the Week" (I didn't even know there was such a thing) is Toy Story 3 Barbie- and yes, we own one. Apparently, these tested PVC positive in her hair and packaging.

I'm scared to buy anything for my kids anymore. Scared to feed them anything that comes from a can. Scared to put anything on their skin. Scared.

4 comments:

Casey and Katy Blackburn said...

Have you thought about trying cloth diapers? My SIL uses them and a couple of good friends. I bet they are MUCH cheaper than doing the expensive Seventh Generation brand and even more Earth-friendly.

Here's a couple websites I know my friends bought from...
www.babycottonbottoms.com
www.gdiapers.com
www.bumgenius.com

If I had it to do all over again (like so many things...unfortunately) I would have gone cloth and not disposable. :)

gaga said...

All I can say is you survived your childhood...and I survived mine....and we were exposed to many more "harmful" things without even knowing it! And the people making those "lists"....really what are they basing their findings on? Good science or bad science? I say do what you think is best....that is all you can do and quit stressing that it is not good enough. You give your kids plenty of love, which is really the best thing you can give them anyway! And whats wrong with Crest toothpaste anyway?

Mama Best said...

I am thankful that God covers our mistakes with His grace. I was so naive when Abigail was a baby- I remember when all she ate for 2 months was CHICKEN FINGERS from BURGER KING!!! She did survive, but there are kids that don't! They struggle with diabetes, or obesity, or even cancer (extreme, I know). But, God does cover our failures with His grace. I think He delights in us studying and growing in knowledge. 20 years ago, seatbelts weren't required by law- and we are still alive. Does that mean we should stop wearing our seatbelts? Absolutely not. There are things that are dangerous and need to be avoided. So good job, sister. I'm excited to be going through this mommy-hood journey with you. LOVE YOU! (Seventh Generation diapers are the bomb- so absorbent and fit so well! why don't all diaper companies jump on board?)

Frank Day said...

If I were president I would establish a "department of putting risks into perspective" instead of what the Republicans want to do (ignore everything that lowers profits) or the democrats (try to eliminate all risk). We are at risk of being killed by an asteroid also but that doesn't mean we should put a lot of effort into worrying about it. So, we do the best job we can with the information and resources we have, which usually means being reasonable in choosing risks to avoid. Relax and have a glass of wine. Your UF is coming and will reward Addy's independence most likely. That is enough to worry about. :-)