Thursday, September 30, 2010

Bye Bye Paci!

*After proof reading this before posting, I just want to add a disclaimer here. I am SO tired and I am pretty sure this post is awfully written. But I'm too tired to care. Goodnight.*

If someone had told me that today would be Addison's last day with her pacifier, I probably would have rolled my eyes at them. As much as I hate the pacifier, she is WAY attached to it, and Mike and I haven't been able to see an end in sight.

But, indeed, today WAS Addison's last day with her pacifier.

Here's how it went down.

Addison had a dentist appointment today- just a regular cleaning/check up. Side note: she did AWESOME! Allowed them to use the actual cleaning tools (last time she only allowed a toothbrush), allowed them to floss and everything! I was so proud of her! So, the dentist noticed that her bite is looking pretty bad, significantly worse than 6 months ago, all thanks to the paci. Dr. Jenny pulled me aside while Addison was getting her treat from the "token tower" to discuss different ways we could phase the pacifier out. Some of the options included: cutting the tip of the pacifier and telling her it's broken, making it taste bad, or cutting cold turkey. When Addison returned with her prize, I told her that Dr. Jenny wanted her to stop using the pacifier. Dr. Jenny said that when Addison would agree to bring her paci to her, she would give her 4 tokens and a Dr. Jenny Rocks t-shirt (all of the staff was wearing this t-shirt today). We said goodbye to Dr. Jenny, and while I was checking out, Addison said, all on her own, "Mommy, can you go to the car and get my paci, I want to give it to the dentist." I explained to her that this meant that she would never see paci again, that this was the deal- Dr. Jenny keeps it forever. She said she understood (how can a 3 year old REALLY understand this) and walked over to Dr. Jenny and handed her her paci. I cried. Yes, I cried. So silly. I was just so amazed at my brave little girl! She LOVES her paci and she was being so brave and strong! I didn't let her see me cry, of course, but it was such a MOMENT for us.

After we left the office, I realized she had one other paci at home, so we decided to take it to Build a Bear and stuff it inside the bear, so that she could sleep with the bear, and the paci would always be safe and with her. I had to run home to grab the pacifier, so of course I grabbed my camera too :-)

Watching the bear get stuffed.

Kissing paci one last time

In goes the pacifier

My big girl with her new bear, who she named Keewa.

So, yes, bedtime was rough, but I am pleased to say that she finally did go to sleep. She did ask for paci a lot, cried a lot, but Mike and I were not going to give in... because we knew we'd have to go through this again and that time she'd know she could get away with fussing and after long enough we'd cave. Nu-uh. Not happening.

Yay Addison! BIG GIRL FINALLY letting go of the pacifier! I'm so thrilled that it's gone!

3 comments:

Kyle, Laurel, Elle and Brett said...

That's awesome Sarah!! Great job, Addison!

Frank Day said...

Maybe she has a career as a union negotiator, holding out for something worthwhile before she agrees to give up something she really doesn't need.

Mary said...

That's a great idea! Good job, Mom!