Saturday, January 16, 2010

Reviews

I'm stealing this idea from Hai. I've read quite a few books over the last month, and thought I'd share my thoughts and give each a quick review.

And yes, I do realize it's a Saturday night, and I could be doing WAY better things with my time. But the truth is, I am a mommy, and a pregnant mommy at that, so my evenings are becoming less and less exciting. It's come to this... blogging book reviews on a Saturday night.

1. Moose by Stephanie Klein.
Stephanie Klein is an author who I've followed since she was in NYC and she's ironically an Austinite now. I also follow her blog. Her books and blog aren't for everyone, she can be crass, and she definitely doesn't hold back. Moose is a memoir of her childhood experiences with obesity and fat camp. Sounds fun, I know. But it really was a funny and touching book. I give it 3 out of 5 stars.

2. Best Friends Forever by Jennifer Weiner
I didn't know Jennifer Weiner had a "new" book out, and when I found out, I was super excited. I've read all of her books and loved each one. Did you see In Her Shoes? Based on the novel by Jennifer Weiner. Anyway, total, TOTAL chick lit, but very good. 4.5 out of 5 stars. Really good.

3. Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby
I think Nick Hornby is one of my favorite authors. Again, I've read all of his books. This one wasn't my favorite, (About a Boy has that honor), but is was enjoyable nonetheless. Nothing super special, but I read it quickly and wouldn't mind reading it again, so there's that. 3.5 out of 5 stars.

4. An Education by Nick Hornby
I don't know how to describe this book. I saw that there's a movie coming out based on the novel, so wanted to check it out. Turns out Nick Hornby adapted someone else's novel for the big screen. So essentially what I read was a bit about the process of adapting the novel, and getting the movie ready for production (casting, etc.), and then the screenplay. I'm not sure it was the entire screenplay, as it seemed short, but it was VERY good, and I'm very much looking forward to the movie. I give the movie 4.5 stars without seeing it, that's how much I'm looking forward to it.

5. Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea by Chelsea Handler
I'm not even really a Chelsea Handler fan, but for whatever reason decided to read this book. And I am SO glad I did. I laughed out loud more times than I can count. She has such a way with words, and the stories she relays are funnier than hilarious, I don't know an adequate word to describe them. This book killed me. SO FUNNY. Super easy read, too, which is always nice. 4.5 out of 5 stars.

6. Official Book Club Selection by Kathy Griffin
I AM a Kathy Griffin fan, and sadly, this book paled in comparison to Ms. Handler's. It had it's moments, but overall I was left wanting more. 2 out of 5 stars. Sorry, Kathy, I still love you.

7. The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
Um, incredible. This is a LONG novel, and I devoured it in one day. (Granted, I stayed up until 2am to do so, but I didn't have a choice, seeing how I had a 2 year old to tend to during the day time). I laughed, I CRIED, ugh it was SO good. Am afraid to watch the movie for fear of being disappointed. 5 out of 5 stars. Love.

8. The Happiest Toddler on the Block by Harvey Karp, M.D.
This book was one big "DUH" for me. I really didn't learn anything. Maybe because I teach 2-4 year olds every day, I don't know. I loved The Happiest Baby on the Block, and really felt like I learned a lot from that book. But this one, not so much. I didn't finish it. Maybe there was some brilliant insight at the end that I would have been enlightened by, had I not given up. I'll never know. 1 out of 5 stars.

9. My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One Night Stands by Chelsea Handler
#5 got me hooked and I had to give this one a try. Not for the prudish, this is for sure. But it made me laugh just as much as the first one I read by Chelsea. In fact, I was reading it in the waiting area at my obgyn's office and kept laughing out loud. And when I wasn't laughing out loud, I had the stupidest smile on my face. It's SO FUNNY. 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Am just starting to read The Book Thief by Markus Zusak upon Hai's recommendation. And then am planning on reading Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See, (thanks Sharon for the suggestion).

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I LOVE my Kindle. These books would NOT have been read had it not been for the Kindle. I'm a happy mama!

2 comments:

gaga said...

WOW what a diverse selection of books, only one on my Kindle is Chelsea's, looking forward to reading it, have pre ordered her next book too (BTW I think she is coming to Austin on her book tour), I am a fan of hers and not Kathy Griffins....funny. Good job, makes me happy you are a reader!

Julie said...

Sounds like we have about the same exciting Saturday nights! :) I loved your book reviews. I wish I had more time to read because I would really like to, but yeah. It just doesn't happen for me. I would love to read Chelsea's books though. Maybe I'll figure out how to fit it in. Now I just need to google Kindle and see what you're talking about ;)