Friday, July 23, 2010

Thrush Update

The disclaimer from my previous post (see below) applies to this post as well.

First of all, thrush is the worst ever. It's so painful. I don't know what it feels like for Aiden, but I do know that it friggin KILLS me.

So, we are treating two ways:

1. Gentian Violet. We got it at People's Pharmacy. It's messy, but supposedly more effective than the Nystatin and Difulcan prescribed by our doctors. The first time we tried out gentian violet, I applied it to my breast before feeding him. This is how that little experiment turned out:



Feeding is very uncomfortable for both of us right now, so he pulls off often, and with the gentian violet on the boob, it ended up all over his face. The good(ish) news: it does wear off. Slowly. This is how it looked last night (we took a little walk. I was praying we wouldn't run into any neighbors.)



2. One day of the mess, and I was over it. I picked up our prescriptions. No more gentian violet for us, thank youverymuch. Welllllll, that is until tonight, when I was in so much pain, I decided I'd "double up" and do both treatments for us. Tonight, I swabbed his mouth with the violet before feeding, which was much less messy. Now his face has a tint of lavendar, and only his mouth is super purple.

Oh my goodness, I hope this goes away soon. Don't want to have to do the gentian violet again. And want to be able to feed sweet Aiden pain free!!

No comments: